Prosperity Talisman Bag: Day 4, Part 1: Getting to know you, getting to know all about you...


Alright, ladies and gents! I have a plan of action! I'm dubbing this, Day 4: The second Beginning.

I was reading through some of the posts from folks in the entities challenges, and realized I may not have done my research on Freyja in the best possible way. There's a difference between educating yourself on the mythology and educating yourself on the metaphysical/magical. For example...

Things I knew:

  • Fehu Runic Number: 1
  • Fehu Polarity: Female
  • Fehu Associated gods: Frey, Freyja
  • Fehu Meaning: Reward, Wealth, Nourishment
  • Freyja: The Goddess of Sex, Lust, War, and prosperity by way of the association to the rune, Fehu.
  • Freyja slept with four dwarves in barter for a gold necklace (Brisings' necklace). Loki spied on her and then betrayed her to Odin, who stole her necklace. Some versions of the story say that Odin forced Freyja to cause war among men as punishment for trading her body for an object, others say she caused war in retaliation. She is often depicted in a chariot driven by cats (Have you ever tried walking a cat before? I bet that's a very slow chariot) and is the leader of Valkyries. She rides through battlefields and picks up half of the dead corpses, leaving the other half for Odin, and takes their souls to her hall, Sessrumnir, in Asgard. She often represented wearing a cloak of bird feathers, which allows the wearer to change into a falcon. Supposedly, she would fly between the worlds as a falcon. She once lent to Loki Laufeyjarson when he needed to get to Joetunheimar. Some say she is responsible for Seidr, an old norse form of feminist sorcery. 


Things I did not know:

  • Fehu Rune Color: Light Red
  • Fehu Rune Element: Fire and Earth
  • Fehu Astrological Correspondence: Some say Aries, some say Taurus. Frankly, Taurus makes more sense to me than Aries because of the earth link to wealth. 
  • Herbs of Freyja Freya: cowslip, daisy, primrose, maidenhair, myrrh, strawberry, mistletoe.
  • Freyja: But despite being associated with Fehu it does not seem, from my reading today that she actually is associated with prosperity outside of having been, at some point in history, applied to Fehu. In late Icelandic literature the aetts were referred to in three sets (Freys, Hagals, Tys). Hagal and Tys were obviously connected to the first runes of the same names, so Freys was tied to Fehu. Supposedly there's really not any other support for the connection between Freyja and Fehu. This concerns me because it might explain why something has felt... Not quite right in the last three days regarding my baggy. I think I'm not asking the right starter-questions. 

Knowing what I know now, and having read some of the step-by-step examples in the previous challenge, I'm forming an idea for some slight adjustments to my ritual tonight. I'm going to head to the public library to see if there are any interesting books to get my mind workin'. I'm going to see about finding something in the norse mythology section. I'll post my adjustments on a "Part 2" post later.

These site had a great post about it, albeit not well cited. I had to verify some stuff: 
http://freaknut.tripod.com/FreyjaStory.html
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php?topic=19307.50;wap2

Please follow my progression on the 30 day challenge website, and if you haven't yet, please take a look at Andrieh Vitimus' awesome Choas Magic book. See these posts on www.magical30.com as well

Day one
Day two
Day three

Day four

0 comments:

Post a Comment